Friday, March 7, 2014

Lessons I learned from 1 Nephi 1

So, I've been studying the New Testament. I've made it pretty far into Acts, which is as far as I've made it. I'm pretty proud of myself. But, I can't quite figure it out. I find, for me, that I can feel the spirit stronger in the Book of Mormon. For me, the Book of Mormon is more personal. (And, easier to read. lol)

I'm still going to continue reading the New Testament, but I've also begun reading the Book of Mormon again. It's been a while since I've read it. I've come up with my own scripture coding that's working pretty great so far.

Red - Jesus Christ/ God
Green - Knowledge/ Testimony
Purple - Be/Do (My list of things to become or do. Self-improvement)
Blue - Warnings/ Commandments
Yellow - Story information

So far, here is what I've learned.

1. The record of Nephi is true. He testifies of it. (1 Nephi 1:2)

2. Lehi has a vision. In his vision he sees "God sitting upon his throne, surrounded by numberless concourses of angles in the attitude of singing and praising their God". (1 Nephi 1:8) Wouldn't that be a sight to see!

3. "He saw One descending out of the midst of heaven, and he beheld that his luster was above that of the sun at noon-day." Lehi saw Christ! (1 Nephi 1:9)

4. We can sing and praise God, just like the angels did.

5. "He also saw twelve others following him". Lehi saw the 12 disciples as well. (1 Nephi 1:10). Isn't this a great start to the Book of Mormon? We get to see and learn about a Prophet's vision of the Heavens. He saw God, Christ and the 12 disciples in the very first chapter!

6. In the vision, he was given a book to read. In it he read some pretty intense things. He saw the destruction of Jerusalem and the people that dwelt there. He saw them perish by the sward and being carried away into Babylon. (1 Nephi 1:11-14) He saw many "great and marvelous things", as Nephi put it. Afterwards Lehi exclaims
"Great and marvelous are they works, O Lord God almighty! Thy throne is high in the heavens and they power and goodness and mercy are over all the inhabitants of the earth, and because, thou art merciful, thou wilt not suffer those who come unto thee that they shall perish!" (1 Nephi 1:14)

Wow. Remember, we are in the first chapter, there is no fluffy introduction, we just dive deep into great stuff. This is a Prophet, a righteous man of God. We learn some interesting things here. God's throne is high in the heavens. Lehi saw that in his vision. He also saw of God's power and goodness. That had to have been incredible. I can't even wrap my mind around that. We are starting to see the bigger picture. God's greatness - to our own nothingness. He is All Powerful, "Lord God almighty!"  But, God is merciful. He "wilt not suffer those who come unto [Him] that they shall perish!"

7. "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance" (1 Nephi 1:20) This is probably one of my favorite verses in all of 1 Nephi. Nephi clearly states his purpose, and how great of a purpose it is! He is going to show us the tender mercies of the Lord in His day.



Can we look in our lives and see the tender mercies of the Lord?


- SamiMae

No comments:

Post a Comment