Friday, March 7, 2014

Lessons I learned from 1 Nephi Ch 2

Continuing my previous post, I now look at chapter 2. There is some truly great stuff in this chapter. It's just full of things we can learn and apply to our lives.

In this chapter we learn quite a bit about Lehi and the kind of man he was. He was faithful (1 Nephi 2:1) and obedient unto the word of the Lord (1 Nephi 2:2). Lehi "built an alter of stones and made an offering unto the lord and gave thanks unto the Lord our God." (1 Nephi 2:7) At this point, Lehi had taken his family into the wilderness, they had left all their belongings in Jerusalem and left the land they loved, because the Lord commanded them. I'm sure this wasn't easy for them. But, Lehi didn't murmur. Instead he built an alter, gave an offering and thanks unto God. How remarkable! I'd like to think that if I was in that situation I wouldn't be belly-aching over my circumstances.

What can we learn from Lehi? Be faithful, be obedient, and give thanks to God in your trials.

Other lessons in Ch 2:

1. Let us be "firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord!" (1 Nephi 2:10)

2. Don't murmur when you don't know the dealings of God. (1 Nephi 2:12). Sometimes, we just don't know, and that's ok. Let us have faith in God and his timing. God is all powerful, and quite frankly, he's in charge. Just go with it.

3. You are never to young to desire to know the mysteries of God. (1 Nephi 2:16). Nephi was young, but desired to know the mysteries of God, so he went and asked! We can also learn that, if you have a question, take it to God. You might just get more than you'd expect. In my life I've learned that God wants us to come to him, he wants us to talk to him.

I learned this again a few weeks back. I was struggling with something, and one Sunday night, I felt prompted to ask Trevor for a blessing. I was unsure and hesitant about asking. I didn't think my problem was big enough to ask for a blessing. I always kind of had the idea that if I wasn't on my death bed sick, then it's not big enough. But, I listened to the spirit, and asked for one. Trevor willingly gave me a blessing, it was beautiful and exactly what I needed. In the blessing, I was reminded that nothing is to small to take to God. If it's important to us, it's important to him.

4. Pray for those who wander or stray. (1 Nephi 2:18). Here, Nephi is praying for his older brothers, who have strayed from God. Nephi "being grieved...cried unto the Lord for them". Them, meaning his brothers. In the never verse God gives him comfort. God is always there for us.

5. God blesses the faithful and those who seek him diligently. (1 Nephi 2:19)

6. Keep Commandments = Prosperity. (1 Nephi 2:20).

7. Rebel = cut off from the presence of the Lord, cursed. (1 Nephi 2:21, 23)

Pretty straight forward. I think there are some real admirable traits that Nephi and Lehi show. These were great men. I admire them and look up to them. I enjoy reading about them in the Book of Mormon. Lehi was wise and obedient. Nephi was righteous and desirous to know more of God. They both had such big hearts. Lehi worries he is often teaching them and he even names a river and valley after them. Nephi prays for them, he cried unto the Lord for them. These are both admirable men. We can apply the scriptures to us, by striving to become more like them and learn from their examples.


- SamiMae

No comments:

Post a Comment